BALSAMIC is following Semantic Versioning.
Since October 24, 2018 the following changes were added in addition to SemVer also to cover Bioinformatic and data analysis aspect of it:
- Structural changes to the BALSAMIC workflow. This includes reordering of annotation softwares or sources, variant callers, aligners, quality trimmers, and/or anything other than QC reporting and rule all.
- Addition of annotation softwares or sources, variant callers, aligners, quality trimmers, and/or anything other than QC reporting
- Under the hood changes to rules that won’t affect output results of workflow.
- Addition of new bioinfo tools for QC reporting.
- Updating version of a Bioinformatic software or data resource (including annotation sources)
- Any bug fix and under the hood changes that won’t impact end-users run.
- Changes to resource allocation of Scheduler job submission
The rational for versioning is heavily inspired from BACTpipe: DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.1254248 and https://github.com/ctmrbio/BACTpipe)